The Clarkmobile Automobile & The Clarkmobile Company






1920-1939 Pontiac For Sale
6-29 – Standard Six
6-30 – DeLuxe Six – Master Six

1940-1949 Pontiac For Sale
Silver Streak – Fleetline
Torpedo Six Streamliner Eight

1950-1959 Pontiac For Sale
Bonneville Super Chief
Catalina Chieftan Starchief

Clarkmobile
The Clarkmobile Company
Lansing, Michigan 1902-1905

The New-Way Motor Company
Lansing, Michigan 1905-1906

The Clarkmobile Company was founded by Frank G. Clark and William Newbrough of Lansing, Michigan. They produced an American Automobile called the Clarkmobile. The 1,100 pound two passenger Roadster shown below first appeared in 1903 and it was marvel of innovative features.

The $750.00 Clarkmobile was equipped with a self starting single cylinder horizontal four cycle engine with a 5 inch bore rated at 7 horsepower. The speed of the engine was controlled by foot lever which allowed a speed of 5 to 30 miles per hour. Transmission was made by Upton and had two speeds forward and reverse. Final drive was by a single chain.


1902 Clarkmobile
1902 Clarkmobile

Other features of the Clarkmobile included a standard tread, 72 inch wheelbase, leather seats, wood artillery wheels, iron hubs, Dunlap tires, wheel steering, Brown and Lipe steering gears and double acting brakes.

1903 Clarkmobile
1903 Clarkmobile

In 1905 Frank G. Clark sold The Clarkmobile Company and went on to produce the Clark Automobile from 1910 to 1912. The Clarkmobile Company was then reorganized into The New-Way Motor Company. A. C. Stebbins was president, J. W. Knapp vice-president and William H. Newbrough was treasurer, E. W. Goodnow secretary and finally Charles H. Way was a mechanical engineer. The New-Way Motor Company was name after William H. Newbrough and Charles H. Way. The real driving force behind the New-Way Motor Company was William H. Newbrough and Charles Way. Fire destroyed much of the New-Way Motor Co. factory on July 3, 1906.

1904 Clarkmobile
1904 Clarkmobile

The New Way Motor Company produced an air cooled engine that was designed by Charles Way. The company then used the old Clarkmobile chassis and fitted it with the new engine. The Clarkmobile Company transferred its patents and other properties to New Way Motor in 1905. The New Way Motor Company produced Clarkmobile automobiles until 1907. It then produced a engine that was used in agricultural and marine use for many years.

1935 Cars For Sale